Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Settling In





   I really like it here. I heard a lady walking behind me on the sidewalk the other day describe Kennebunkport pretty well:

"All Kennebunkport is is ice cream shops."

   That is so true. Conveniently (or inconveniently), there are at least four ice cream shops within a block from me... and one of them is Ben & Jerry's. Mmmm. They will close at the end of the summer season, so I won't be tempted for too much longer.
   Let's see... I went out with some classmates on Friday. We went to Pilot House. I can actually see it across the water from my house. It is a smalltown bar and the bartender, Sue, knew everyone except me... until I introduced myself. I had so much fun. My classmates are so nice and so funny. Everyone has a unique and interesting life story/background. There wasn't enough night for everyone to say everything they wanted.



   I will get to spend more time with classmates this Friday on our first field trip! We are going to the Newport International Boat Show.

Link: Newport International Boat Show

   I don't know too much about it because our instructors haven't given us any details yet. But The Landing School students go every year and because most of my classmates attended the School last year, they know what to expect. It sounds like a fun day, and if we choose to drive ourselves to Newport (rather than taking the charter bus), we can stay as long as we want into the evening. I'm not sure what I'll choose to do.

   I have more syllabi. I don't know if anyone is interested in my course descriptions, but here they are:

Design 1: This course covers subjects concerned with the overall design of small craft such as design methodologies, lines plans, parametric studies, weights and centers calculations, deck and cockpit geometry, ergonomics, general arrangement and deck layouts. Aesthetics are also considered. Much of the learning in this course is centered on practical design projects.

Marine Engineering: This course covers small craft system design and installation issues for such elements as ventilation, machinery, tanks, plumbing and electrical systems. Small scale individual case studies in the early part of the course are followed by the complete system installation design for the same sailboat design project used in Design 1.

Structural Design: This course covers statics, applied mechanics, strength of materials, structural mechanics and basic composite theory and their application to such problems as shafting, chain plate and keel bolt design. These theoretical subject also provide an essential foundation for the scantling and structural design studies in the construction course (next semester).


..... So that (plus Naval Architecture and CAD/drafting) is what I'll be learning about.


   I went exploring on Saturday. Here are some photos I took (remember, you can click on the pictures to make them bigger. Then click the back button to get back to my blog):



There is a bridge near me with the locks similar to what I saw in Paris and Rome last summer. A couple in love writes their names on the padlock, locks it to the bridge, and throws the key into the water. 






 I didn't even know that seagull was in the photo until I got it home and loaded onto my computer.^


















This is The Clam Shack... This place always has a long line. It must be really good. I'll have to try it sometime.... unless they only serve clams. Eh.







 There was a band playing on the swim deck at this hotel when I walked by. They said they are returning in October.. maybe the same weekend Mom and Dad are visiting?





This is another place that is ALWAYS busy. It has no ocean view.. no view at all... and no curb appeal. Jeesh, it has cheap-looking plastic drapes hanging from the awning. This makes me believe that this place MUST have really good food to always be busier than any other restaurant. People are always standing outside waiting for a table.






Well... This is kind of an abrupt end, but I don't have much more to say right now.

I'll post again when I have enough to talk about.















No comments:

Post a Comment