Thursday, September 5, 2013

   I have pictures of my place!









    That is the patio. We currently have low tide in the evenings... but during the day there is a lot more water there.


   My first day of school was yesterday. We had an all-school meeting at 8:00. The president of the school talked for a while and then the Kennebunkport chief of police talked to us. The officer gave us a rundown of all the driving laws in Maine. He said that all of his officers will know each of us within a month because it is such a small town and the officers observe all of the cars/license plates and where everyone is at. I'm thinking my license plate might be the only Iowa one in town.
   After that meeting, we had a tour of the school. I'll have to take some pictures of it soon and post them. All of the classrooms are giant shops for boat building... except the yacht design lab, which is a bunch of large desks and computers (just the way I like it). This is the first year they've had a women's bathroom at the school. So far it's been all men's and one unisex... But because there is a whopping THREE girl students in the entire school (two in yacht design and one in boat building), they decided to give us our own bathroom.

We were given our schedule for the semester:





   After lunch we sat back at our desks and were each given a piece of 11x17 piece of paper. Our only instructions were to "sketch a yacht." We could interpret that however we wanted to. Here are the results of the class. Can you spot which sketch is from the industrial designer (me)? I guess it's okay if you can't, but I know other industrial designers will easily pick it out. It's the one that didn't use pencil.. the pen and marker sketch up at the top.









   Today was a bit different than the schedule. They started classes like it was a Monday, so I had Design 1 and Naval Architecture 1 today. I have homework for Naval Architecture, so I brought home that binder and have the syllabus here. I'll type the Course Description that my professor, Sean, wrote for it:

"This course covers subjects concerned with the technical design of small craft such as calculation of area and volumetric properties, hydrostatics and stability, hull form design, resistance and propulsion and rig, keel, and rudder design. Sailing craft and displacement, and semi-displacement boats are considered."

   It goes on to list the main learning outcomes of the course: physics, statics, hydrostatics, dynamics, and fluid dynamics.... Sooo... I had to buy a fancy calculator for that class. I'm excited for the challenge.
   My first assignment is an easy one. We have to write "in our own words" Newton's three laws of motion and how they relate to boats. Then we have to look up Archimedes and understand why he is important in boat design.
   I don't have much else to say right now. I don't have any plans for the weekend yet, but I plan on asking some classmates if they wanna go out tomorrow night or Saturday. If I get a bunch of "no's" then I'll probably spend the weekend exploring the area on my own, going to the beach and watching all the dogs, and taking photographs. Either option sounds perfect.


































I'm going to be a f*cking yacht designer.






























No comments:

Post a Comment