Sunday, September 22, 2013

Freeport, Maine

   I feel like I should post more often, but I try to wait until I have something to talk about. It's been a week and I still don't have too much to say. School is keeping me busy. I still love it. The math is a challenge and the drawing is easy peasy. I know the math will get easier and the drawing/drafting will get more challenging.... and I look forward to that.

   I thought I'd talk about a few things I've noticed about Maine that are different than Iowa:

1. A daily conversation I hear at the end of school: "Hey, are you guys going surfing today?" Everyone surfs here. The water is very cold, so the guys wear 7mm thick wetsuits. Apparently they surf all throughout the winter because it's "the only thing to do around here unless you wanna drive an hour to go skiing." I think I'll be okay just watching them surf.. while I sit in the car... with the heater on.
2. In Iowa, my satellite Sirius XM radio will cut out when I drive under bridges or through tunnels. In Maine, my satellite radio cuts out on my way to school every day because the woods/tree canopy are so thick that I can't pick up a signal. I've never had that problem in Iowa. I think it is a pretty cool problem. I don't mind.
3. The cemetery headstones... gravestones?.... tombstones?... are so old. They are tiny and crumbling and crooked and all of the lettering is eroded away. Of course it makes sense because Maine was settle a loooong time before Iowa was. But it is still pretty cool... just something I never see in Iowa.
4. No one here is rude. Iowa is full of nice people, but you still get the Subway sandwich makers who hate their job and don't try to hide it... or the gas station cashiers who don't even attempt a smile. Everyone I've encountered in Maine acts like they just won the lottery. It doesn't seem real how nice and happy everyone always is.

I'll be sure to notice more differences throughout the year. I didn't mention food, but thats a big one too.

I drove up to Freeport yesterday to go shopping. I wanted some good winter boots from L.L. Bean. Freeport was the place to go for that. I took a couple pictures of some of the other shopping options, but those stores are only for one block of Freeport. There were a lot more shops than that. I went to the North Face store as well. It is a really cool town.





   Like I said, I don't have much to say. I don't have any big plans for this week. I have two quizzes, though. One in Naval Arch. on Wednesday and one in Structural Design on Friday. Wish me luck! 

















No comments:

Post a Comment