Sunday, April 6, 2014

Front Street Shipyard

   My friend, Rachel, invited me over for dinner last week. She made spaghetti and a really good sauce from scratch with chicken and bacon and sausage in it. This was my favorite part of the meal:
 They are dog sitting their landlord's dog for the month.


I got this in the mail. Thanks Mom and Dad. I wear it every day.


   I had a career fair on Wednesday last week and went for a little while to see what other companies are out there. I had a really good hair day that day, so I took a picture of it. No I did not wear that sweater for the career fair. But my hair really did look like that and I really do think it looks awesome. No sarcasm... unlike that sharktooth necklace.


   I took a field trip to Belfast, Maine last Friday. It was a three hour drive from school. We took a charter bus. The shipyard was cool to see. This company, Front Street Shipyard, started up only three years ago and is already super busy. All of their buildings are jampacked full of boats they are restoring. The company is looking into starting a design team to design and build boats, but they currently don't do that. They refurbish boats, winterize them, repair them, repurpose them, etc.






This boat, Gusto, is a cruising sailboat that is being repurposed to make it capable of sailing around the world. One of the biggest challenges for the yard is to add enough tankage to it. The boat wasn't originally intended to spend more than a couple days at sea, so it doesn't have much extra space for larger freshwater tanks and other things. Depending on what route the client takes around the world will decide how long they will need to be able to survive without docking and refilling the freshwater tanks and stocking food.

This was a cool houseboat made out of shipping containers. It has a very contemporary interior. I think it was my favorite boat.


This big yacht, Magic, was being refitted with a new 70" TV that rises out of the floor on the outside deck.



   In the same town as this shipyard is a design firm that we also visited. Stephens Waring Yacht Design. It is a two-man firm who specialize in Spirit of Tradition sailing yachts. I really liked the atmosphere of their studio. I really really liked petting the dog. I noticed that there was this mushed down pillow with dog hair all over the corner of this couch. I'm betting that that was the dog's favorite spot.






   After the tour of their studio, we had some time to kill before the bus left. Our instructor, Sean, knew of a good brewery in the town. So we sampled beer and a bunch of us bought some growlers. We were all kind of hesitant to buy a growler or sample beer because we were at a school function. But Sean bought one first and that was enough of an excuse for the students to buy one too. I know the point of a growler is to be able to go back and refill it at the brewery. I know I'll probably never be back in Belfast, Maine, but I like it as a souvenir if nothing else. 





I think I will finally get to start my final project by the end of this week! I am almost done with my design proposal. I want to post my proposal on my blog, but I want to finish it first... So you can look for that next week.

Goodnight.












No comments:

Post a Comment