Sunday, October 27, 2013

My new pets

   I bought 5 fish today! It was a tough decision on what kind of fish to buy. They had a sweet freshwater shark that is very low-maintenance and looks really cool. But the sharks get up to 14 inches long so I would have needed a big tank for it. I only had room for a tank that was small enough to fit on my 12"x12" end table. So I skipped the shark idea. I bought neon fish instead. I tried for quite a while to take a good picture of them, but when they are swimming around they show up blurry in the photos. I finally got a picture of all four of the neon fish in the same frame. I got one of each color: white, yellow, green, and pink. The fifth fish is the bottom feeder who cleans up after the neon fish. She is black and looks like a tiny eel or leech. She is already hiding under that statue in the tank, so I couldn't get a picture of her.
   All five fish are still alive. Their names are:  White, P!nk, Yellow, Green, and Mrs. Black.


   I really like how collaborative all of the five programs are at the school. In the middle of class, if a student asks about a specific part of a boat, our professors will take the entire class right into the shop downstairs to show us parts of the boat to help us understand. This has been helpful for me when it comes to sailboats. The bald guy in the photo below is my Marine Engineering professor, Ken, showing us propeller shafts and how/why they should be offset from the rudder.  






   This is a photo of my professor, Sean, helping me with my homework. It was posted to the Landing School's social media sites: Google+, Twitter, and Facebook. So I'm famous, right?


   I've been practicing my perspective sketching. I enjoy it much more when I am sketching powerboats. Currently I am more interested in designing powerboats after school than sailboats. Maybe it's because powerboats have so much more space and so many more interesting features. They can also have more unique exterior designs whereas sailboats are limited to their shape and size in order to sail correctly. My IndD professor from ISU, David Ringholz, would yell at me if he saw that I didn't correct the white balance on that first sketch. But I'll just hope he never finds it. (Okay, maybe he wouldn't yell at me, but he probably would ask to take my diploma back)





   I had a long, fun weekend with my friends here. But that has made me very tired. I wish I had one more day to rest before going back to class tomorrow. Instead, I'll just go to sleep early. So I am going to cut this blog short tonight. I'll try to have more to talk about next time. Goodnight. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment