Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Practicing at work

                I am so glad I have a short week this week. Tomorrow is like Friday! But then I get to have another Friday two days later! I missed being home during 4th of July last summer, so I am anxious to be around all of the drunken idiots again. Seriously.
 I’ve been coming to work early this week and I LOVE it. I get to work with the lights turned off so that I can see my computer screen easily without the glare from overhead lights…. Actually, the lights aren’t an issue when my screen is tilted upright. But I can lay it down flat and digitally sketch right on it.. so having the lights off helps a lot.



Here is that sketch if you’re interested… Practicing sketching is valuable and considered “working,” and we can sketch whatever we want to improve our skills. This is what they get when they give me that freedom J
 




I am also supposed to be practicing surface modeling on SolidWorks. I designed a fishing lure a couple years ago and made it out of solid bodies (which is a stupid idea, but I was inexperienced), so now I am practicing making them with surface modeling. Keeping up, Grandma? Some of that stuff probably doesn’t make any sense. Anyway, I lost that original lure when my computer crashed last summer, but I’m sure I’d laugh at it if I saw it today. The lure I made a couple years ago took me, probably, 3 hours. These two guys (three pictures, but two of them are the same with different colors) took me about a half hour. So I am getting better and quicker!







I really enjoy fishing, so it is difficult for me to admit that I don’t know what colors to make the lures! I could easily copy exactly some of the patterns that I see on similar lures, but that is cheating. So I made up my own colorful pattern. If I actually did some research I’m sure I’d be able to make a more educated decision on color and pattern. But it doesn’t really matter right now.  

Yeah, I do have actual 3M projects I am working on, too. But I am limited to what I can show. I can say it is going well though!

Also, I've started noticing how many optional meetings there are here and it is starting to get funny.. and ridiculous. I get invited to attend the most random things. Today I was invited to go to an "Asphalt Roofing Seminar." So if I think I will someday need to know how to re-roof my house, I can learn how to do it in an hour-long meeting next Thursday. No, I'm not going to go, but I still think it is funny that I have the option. The description starts like this: "For many homeowners, replacing a roofing system can be a very stressful project.  Maybe you have your own roofing horror story or a friend or family member has shared theirs? During this presentation, guest speaker Addison Kaasa from Wright-At-Home Services, Inc. will be addressing all of your roof related concerns and equipping you with all of the necessary information to make informed decisions."

I'll be home tomorrow! Tell Sammi I'm coming.














No comments:

Post a Comment